SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#318677 - 03/08/11 02:11 PM Jazz Buffs: "Well You Needn't" played on the S910
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Impressive Rendition of a Thelonius Monk Classic: cool

#318679 - 03/08/11 02:22 PM Re: Jazz Buffs: "Well You Needn't" played on the S910 [Re: Scottyee]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Scott - KEWL! It's an interesting song and he did a great job - S910 did too! Thanks!

Randy wink

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#318682 - 03/08/11 03:00 PM Re: Jazz Buffs: "Well You Needn't" played on the S910 [Re: Scottyee]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
WEIRD! I thought it said "Jazz buff says you needn't play on S910." Like, he was slamming you, haha.

#318683 - 03/08/11 03:15 PM Re: Jazz Buffs: "Well You Needn't" played on the S910 [Re: Scottyee]
saxxman Offline

Bill - Yep, strange name! I would like to hear the history on the naming of this tune. smile

Oh - what the hey! I Google'd it!

WIKI says: "...inspired by a protegé of Monk's, the jazz singer Charlie Beamon; Monk wrote a song and told Beamon he was going to name it after him, to which Beamon replied "Well, you needn't"."

And there you go! smile KEWL!

Randy

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#318684 - 03/08/11 03:23 PM Re: Jazz Buffs: "Well You Needn't" played on the S910 [Re: Scottyee]
WDMcM
Unregistered

Well, that version is a bit elevatoresque for my taste, but the fellow certainly has nice chops and licks. Well You Needn't is a fun tune to play. Another tune that is kind of similar is A Night In Tunisia.

Scott, I'm not sure if the focus of your post is the music or the instrument. Presuming it is the music, here is my little group performing A Night In Tunisa on a local TV show.

#318686 - 03/08/11 03:37 PM Re: Jazz Buffs: "Well You Needn't" played on the S910 [Re: ]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I'm glad to see this post. Dave is one of my favorites here. This is a great example of the differences between arranger play and real interaction between people "playing" off of each other.

Night in Tunisia is a great tune to illustrate the difference because of the abrupt tempo change...one of the classic tempo changes in contemporary music.

The arranger is a good example of excellent musicianship AND the differences mentioned above.

Sadly, today, economics, personality conflicts, available jobs, etc. make totally live group play impractical, sometimes, and, frankly, a Pain in the A** other times.

But, "ain't it GREAT"?

Good work, Dave!

Russ

#318687 - 03/08/11 04:01 PM Re: Jazz Buffs: "Well You Needn't" played on the S910 [Re: ]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: WDMcM

I'm not sure if the focus of your post is the music or the instrument.
This video was sponsored by Yamaha USA. As this is an 'arranger' forum, I posted it to show what one can (elevator-ish or not) do with a jazz tune in auto accomp mode. Certainly no comparison (not even close) to playin' with top flight live jazz cats, as you did so well. I really enjoyed your keyboard performance with the JazzItUp! band, especially your soloing! Second to that, its still really fun & rewarding to emulate a jazz combo on the arranger minus the 3am late hour smoke & booze. Dave, your kb's vocal scat samples sounded great but I wasn't won over by the sound of the piano sample . . . overly brittle and harsh to my ears. Which Roland piano patch did you use? btw: I still fondly remember the times we met at Namm when you were a GEM rep. Enjoyed watching you play back then, but man, it's a treat to see you 'let loose' and really shine playing with your JazzItUp! band group. cool

#318688 - 03/08/11 04:02 PM Re: Jazz Buffs: "Well You Needn't" played on the S910 [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Impressive Rendition of a Thelonius Monk Classic: cool

I like it...I like it a lot!

Thanks for the great find.

Ian

#318699 - 03/08/11 09:26 PM Re: Jazz Buffs: "Well You Needn't" played on the S910 [Re: Scottyee]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Now, imagine that, after he played the head the first time, he could hit a button, and the LH chord input was taken over by the Chord Sequencer, and he could play solos with BOTH hands, or strip the arranger down to bass and drums and then comp alternate chords with the LH, or pick up another instrument and blow, etc., etc., etc..

His LH repeats itself basically verbatim every chorus. What a waste of what is probably a VERY good LH...

Personally, at this tempo, I think I would have preferred perhaps a Latin, or Latin Jazz approach, as most jazzers are used to hearing that one at bebop speeds when swung. Impressive guitar chops, though, don't get me wrong. And nice to hear something other than a lollipop!

#318720 - 03/09/11 05:07 AM Re: Jazz Buffs: "Well You Needn't" played on the S910 [Re: Scottyee]
saxxman Offline

Diki - good call! One of the things I want to do (when I get some free time!) is to put together some bass and drum tracks using my BIAB "Real Tracks" jazz sets, then import them as MP3's onto the board. Then I should be able to link the Mp3's to registrations, which would make it easier to save each song's setups.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online